Me: Bud, how much do you love me?
Bud: A lot?
Me: Why are you saying it like a question?
Bud: Because I don’t know what’s coming after.
Me: Will you make my lunch for tomorrow? I don’t want to.
You love him or you hate him. You think his guitar face is cute or you think he’s having an aneurism. You think he belongs with Katy Perry, or he doesn’t (I’m still in the Jennifer Aniston boat, but that’s just me). You can understand what he sings in his first album, or you can’t. Something about him makes people defensive and divided.
Personally, I love John. Here’s why.
Whatever you think of this man, you’ll have to admit one thing; he can say some pretty uplifting stuff on his Twitter account. Most of these quotes I collected from his old account. You know, the one he had before he quit, started using Tumblr, quit that and went back to Twitter?
Yeah, that one.
These are the top 10 quotes as said by John Mayer on Twitter.
- “Hope isn’t something you create; it’s something you let inside.”
- Yes, John. It is. Half of the problems that people have nowadays are because they’re cutting themselves off from any chance they have at succeeding. We get it in our heads that we need to take what we’re dealt, and go with it. Wrong! Let the hope flow in, people!
- “I’d rather be mediocre forever than great only once.”
- I think I like this one because… well, I don’t know. I guess it’s better to be okay at things all of your life because if you’re the greatest, you’ll only be worshiped until someone else that’s better than you comes along. Then where are you? You’re back to normal anyway. Or people will make fun of you because you were beated out by a funnier, more attractive, smarter, or more capable individual than yourself. Either way, don’t let it get to you.
- “I can choose to indulge in my frustrations or I can choose to create a habit of happiness. It’s not easy but it’s worth the fight.”
- I think this is something we all need to work on, right? Don’t get caught up in the details. You have frustrations? Fine, but don’t hold onto the anger. How are you supposed to move forward if you’re too stubborn to let go of the past? Notice it says, “create” a habit of happiness. Happiness isn’t just going to pop out of nowhere all the time! You might have to search for it in the small, everyday things that happen to you. You picked a flower on the way to work. Cool. You accidently slid down a hill because it was muddy, but it was fun. Great. Focus on the good stuff my friends!
- “I’ve never met one problem I couldn’t overcome with two or more of the lessons I’ve already learned.”
- I feel like this is something one of my high school teachers would have told the class. And I’m sure a lot of other people have said it to. You are your experiences. Use what you know to get head and don’t hold back. It’s like watching tutorial videos, right? You learn skills in the order you’ll supposedly need them. If that’s not the case, you probably have enough knowledge to figure it out.
- “Go easy on you. When things go wrong, remind yourself it’s your first time through this life. Now go have a great weekend ya goof.”
- I’m guilty of this. I give myself such a hard time when I do things incorrectly or I think I made a bad decision. Honestly, folks, in most cases, you’re never going to know the outcome until it’s over. That sounds stupid to say out loud, but it’s true. Let’s say that I was having a party and decided that I only needed to order 10 pizzas. Since I have never had a party, I wouldn’t know that people you invited would probably bring pizza too. Now everyone is at your house and you have no more food and people get angry. You’ll know for next time. Live and learn, right?
- “Sometimes you have to throw in the towel and call that “re-occurring flaw” a character trait. Someone will love it.”
- This quote got me through college. I swear. I used to get so hung up on the weird things I did. I sat under my bed and watched TV (if I wasn’t sitting in my laundry basket). I had an alarm go off every night at 9:30pm to remind me to start doing my nightly checklist (I have OCD). I often found myself alone in the building on Friday nights as I finished my homework so I could relax the rest of the weekend. Sometimes, I wrote papers about random topics just because. The list goes on, it’s embarrassing. Well, it was until I found someone who appreciated my little quirks and loves me for me. It is possible!
- “Adulthood is when you wake up from a nightmare and realize there is no bigger bed to climb into.”
- Truer words have never been spoken, my friends. Everyone is going to come to that point in their lives when they realize that there is no one there to help them. Sink or swim, baby! Life is scary and it can be a mess, but you just have to hope that the people you have/had in your life set you up for success. Learn from them while you can and use those skills to kick life in the butt. Your success might not be immediate, but you’ll get it.
- “Whenever they say it can’t be done, remind them that they make a jellybean that tastes exactly like popcorn.”
- I love using this on people when they tell me they can’t do something (especially the people I work with). If science took the time to take the essence of buttered popcorn and managed to turn it into a tiny candy in bean form, then nothing is impossible. I mean, look at the world today. Who would have thought we’d have people living in space and have an entire universe of information that can fit in your pocket? I definitely didn’t think so. What should you take from this? It may take a while to get it done, achieve the goal, or figure out your problem, but you can do it. You just have to be brave and patient enough to try. Popcorn. Jellybeans.
- “Nobody’s life template will ever lay evenly over yours and in those times when they clash completely, you have to walk alone, with confidence that you’re creating your own template, made out of your own instincts and your own dreams and your own goals. And if you do it long enough, maybe someone someday will look to yours as the life to model his or hers after. Of course, some people won’t agree with them. It will all depend on whom they ask.”
- I’m a twin and even for my sister, and me our lives, however similar they were until college, are not remotely the same. She lives in Ohio. I live in Louisiana. She’s a teacher, I’m a director of facilities. I am on the autism spectrum and she is not (officially). We lived the same life growing up but what was good for her was not good for me. There are things that she can do or has done that I wish I could do (being a runner is one of them) but that’s not me. No matter how hard I try, I will never have the same life. And I don’t want to. I’m blazing my own trail. Sure, there are people you can look up to and model your life after, but their story won’t be yours. You might as well start making your own book. Whether you’re successful or not, people might follow you until they find out where they belong. I get you John. I really do.
- “Any day you begin by singing out loud in bed while stretching shows big potential in being an awesome day.”
- I try to live by this everyday. It may take me an exponential amount of motivation and focus to even get out of bed in the morning, but the mornings that I wake up and feel good are not to be taken for granted. Let’s be serious. You woke up. What else could you ask for at that point in the day besides a cup of coffee? I mean, really. Everyday can be awesome. It’s all about perspective. And perspective drives the reality. See where I’m going with this? Look at things in a positive way and your day will be great. Focus on the terrible things and life won’t be so great. You don’t have to wake up and go to work. You get to wake up and go to work.
What are some inspirational quotes you live by?